Sunday, February 10, 2013

FWIW: New Google Groups, you suck, and here's the petition that says so

Continuing-on-in-the-vein-of-shame-dept.

Usually I think Change.org petitions are silly and/or self-serving, but this one I like. If you haven't noticed, Google Groups is now infested with JavaScript, and you have to take steps to get away from it or pick the old Groups (or use Classilla, which doesn't get a choice) and live with an ominous message that the world will end at some unspecified date. Now, yes, it's a free service, and we already mooch off Google for hosting our binaries and this blog and our issues list, so beggars can't be choosers, but just try using Google Groups on a slow system even with our finely tuned JavaScript JIT. I don't understand what was broke that they had to "fix."

17.0.3 and 19 final should be coming out this weekend. If you haven't tried the new langpacks for Russian and Spanish, see issue 61. They'll be rolled out at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. I signed the petition. Thanks for sharing.
    I hate the new Google Groups on my iBook G4. It is slow as h***.
    Thanks so much. I also shared it with my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increased frequency of spam, comments are now subject to moderation.