The silver lining after all that was that I was considering disabling inlining in the JIT prior to release, which worked around the "badness," but also cut the engine speed in about half. (Still faster than JaegerMonkey!) To make this a bit less of a hit, I tuned the thresholds for starting the twin JITs and got about 10% improvement without inlining. With inlining back on, it's still faster by about 4% and change -- the G5 now achieves a score of nearly 5800 on V8, up from 5560. I also tweaked our foreground finalization patch for generational GC so that we should be able to get the best of both worlds. Overall you should see even better performance out of this next beta.
- I have a presumptive fix for the webfont "ATSUI puke" on the New York Times, but it's not implemented or well-tested yet. This is a crash on 10.5, so I consider it a showstopper and it will be fixed before the next beta. (It affects 31.8 also but I will not be making another 31 release unless there is a Mozilla ESR chemspill.)
- The modified strip7 tool required for building 38.x has a serious bug in it that causes it to crash trying to strip certain symbols. I have fixed this bug and builders will need to install this new version (remember: do not replace your normal strip with this one; it is intentionally loose with the Mach-O specification). I will be uploading it sometime this week along with an updated gdb7 that has better debugger performance and repairs a bug with too eagerly disabling register display while single-stepping Ion code.
- I can confirm saved passwords do not appear in the preferences panel. They do work, though, and can be saved, so this is more of an issue with managing them; while it's possible to do so manually it requires some inconvenient screwing around with your profile, so I consider this the highest priority of the non-showstopper bugs.
- Checkboxes on the dropdown menus from the Console tabs do not appear. This specific manifestation is purely cosmetic because they work normally otherwise, but this may be an indication there is a similar issue with dropdowns and context menus elsewhere, so I do want to fix this as well.
The localizer elves have French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian and Finnish installers available. Our Japanese localization appears to have dropped off the web, so if you can help us, o-negai shimasu! Swedish just needs a couple of strings to be finished. We do not yet have Polish or Asturian, which we used to, so if you can help on any of these languages, please visit issue 42 where Chris is coordinating these efforts. A big thank you to all of our localizers!
Once the localizations are all in, the Google Code project will be frozen to prepare for the wiki and issue tracker moving to Github ahead of Google Code going read-only on 24 August. Downloads will remain on SourceForge, but everything else will go to Github, including the source tree when we eventually drop source parity. I was hoping to have an Elcapitanspoof up in time for 38's final release, but we'll see if I have time to do the graphics.
Watch for the next beta to come out by next weekend with any luck, which gives us enough time if there needs to be a third emergency release prior to the final (weekend prior to 11 August).